In my story “Aldar and the Golem of Prague” our elf hero from Iceland travels to the Czech Republic. Although not mentioned in the story, he certainly would have had the opportunity to eat some Bohemian Dumplings (Prague is located in the portion of the Czech Republic known as Bohemia.) If you happen to live in a large urban area, you might be able to find Chateau Brand frozen dumplings. If you can’t find them, you can make your own with this old family recipe.
Ingredients for 2 to 4 people:
1.5 cups (200 g) all purpose flour
1 tsp. (3 g) Instant yeast
1 large egg
1/3 cup (78g) luke warm milk (around 100 F)
1/4 tsp. (1.5g) salt
Preparation and cooking:
1. Mix yeast and milk in small bowl.
2. Mix flour and salt in larger bowl.
3. Make well in flour and add milk/yeast and egg. Mix together.
4. Allow to raise until double in volume (usually 1 hour depending on room temperature)
5. Form into loaf and allow another 1/2 hour to raise again.
6. Bring 8 quarts of water to boil in large pot.
7. Insert dumpling, boil for 20 minutes, turning once half way through.
Slice and serve hot with any dish that gives you lots of gravy.