Aldar and the Golem of Prague
Ingredients: (for 22 cookies)
1 cup (227 g) butter or margarine
1 package 8oz ( 227g) cream cheese
2 cups (256g) all purpose flour
1 can filling**
1. Let butter and cream cheese come to room temperature.
2. Cream the butter and cream cheese and beat together until light and fluffy.
3. Sir in flour and blend well.
4. Wrap dough in plastic wrapping and chill for 3 hours.
5. Remove chilled dough and when soft enough, roll out to 1/8 inch thick on a board sprinkled with plenty of flour.
6. Cut into 3 inches circles.(Can go a little over 3″)
Hint: Leave the rounds on the board when you fill and fold them. This will help keep their shape.
7. Place a heaping teaspoon of filling in the center of each circle.
8. Fold the left side of the dough toward the center, so it covers part of the filling. Take the right side and fold it to overlap the first folded side. (You should still see the filling in the center. )
9. Take the bottom unfolded part and fold the left side under the left folded flap. The right side of this bottom part should be on top of the right folded flap. (Should look like a three cornered hat with each side folded under the other. This is prevents the cookie from opening up during baking.)
10. Bake on greased cookie sheet 350 for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
* This recipe is not parve because it contains sour cream. The cookies do not keep fresh more than 2 or 3 days; however they are so good, this is rarely a problem.
If you would like to learn more about Hamantaschen, go to www.dottyanderson.com